1-903, 18 Eonju-ro 146-gil,
Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
“Do it for the Gram”
Instagram Marketing 101 – You may have already heard this phrase. It is often quoted by Instagrammers who are fond of posting “Instagram worthy” or “Instagrammable” photos or clips. Furthermore, the infamous phrase has gained both positive and negative retort in the online community.
Instagram has grown exponentially since it was first launched in 2010. Looking back to its earlier years, it is just another platform where you can share selfies, pet photos, travel escapades, and scrumptious food. As of our present time, it has practically evolved into one of the leading social media marketing channels online. This social media platform had gone from social media delight to one of the most effective forms of Digital Marketing.
Instagram Trivia: the word “Instagram” is an amalgam of “instant camera” and “telegram”.
Unlike other social media networking sites, Instagram is all about sharing visual content like photos and short clip videos that appeal to the viewers’ attention. Perhaps it is also why people are so hooked to the platform since we much prefer visuals to any other forms of content. Studies show that people online can only retain 10% to 20% of the information they read or hear. However, if such information is then paired with visual elements, information retention goes up to 65%. More so, people online would much rather engage in visual content, 40% of the online community most likely will respond to visual content posts rather than pure textual posts.
What is Instagram?
You must be living under a rock if you are not on Instagram, or worse if you are completely unaware of the social media platform. As they say it, Instagram is where the cool kids are these days.
Instagram, also known as IG or Insta, is basically one type of social networking service where you can share photos and videos from your daily lives, edit them with filters, add captions before posting, communicate with other people, explore, and even stalk other people. It can also be accessed via the use of both iOs and Android devices by simply downloading the app into your mobile phones. You can also access it on the web, with the use of your desktop or laptop. However, you can only upload and share content through the use of your device/s.
As with business owners, you cannot market your products or services without having your business’s Facebook page.
What is Instagram Marketing?
This is how specific brands leverage Instagram to connect with their target consumers and generate leads. Promote their products or services in a much wider demographic. Also at the same time, network with other brands.
Creating Your Business’ Instagram Account
You cannot use the app without having your own account, this is also true for businesses. If you are one of those few people who are still yet to join the app, here’s what you can do to start your business’ Instagram Account.
Take note that you need to have your business Facebook page before you can complete the process of setting up your business’ Instagram page or take full advantage of the app’s given features. On the other hand, if you already have your own Facebook page, here’s how you can set up your Instagram page:
Instagram Marketing 101 Step 1: Download the Instagram App
Although you can also access Instagram on your web browser, posting content can only be done using your mobile phones or tablets.
Instagram Marketing 101 Step 2: Create Your Account Using Your Business’s Email Address
Avoid using your personal Facebook account for your Instagram page. Doing so will create an Instagram account based on your personal Facebook account. It is best that you use your business email address. Plus, people can easily find you once they search for you on the platform.
Instagram Marketing 101 Step 3: Profile Setup
The next step that you will be doing is to create a username and password. Since this is for your business, your username must be the name of your company or at least closer to the name of your company.
Instagram Marketing 101 Step 4 : Find Facebook Friends and Contacts
You will be given the opportunity to find your Facebook friends who are also on Instagram and add them to your account.
Instagram Marketing 101 Step 5: Upload Your Profile Photo
Just like on your Facebook page, your profile picture for your Instagram account should also be your logo. Keep in mind that this is not your personal account.
Instagram Marketing 101 Step 6: Complete Your Profile
To complete all your profile information, tap on the “Edit Your Profile” button. Fill out the contact information field.
Give a brief summary of your about your product or service and where it is located. Also, keep in mind that your bio is the only place where you can put a clickable URL, so it is advisable that you put your official website’s link to your bio.
Instagram Marketing 101 Step 7: Instagram Business Tools
On your “Edit Profile” page, tap on “Try Instagram for Business Tools” then follow all the instructions to complete your profile, as well as how to make use of the offered tools.
Instagram Marketing 101 Step 8: Link Your Facebook Page to Instagram
You need to connect your Facebook page to your Instagram business account so you can be able to fully use the business tools offered by Instagram. This is also because, not so long ago, Facebook has bought Instagram. More so, by linking both, it will be easier for you to advertise on both platforms since the content you post on one platform can also be shared on the other.
Linking both platforms allows you to:
- Advertise your stories and posts
Your Facebook page is required before you can advertise on Instagram.
- Shop with Instagram
Your Facebook page is also a requirement before you can set up shop on Instagram.
- Create Facebook and Instagram Ads from your page
You can make ads that will appear on both platforms, from your page.
Instagram Marketing 101 Step 9: Start Posting
You should have at least one or two photos posted on your account before you start to follow other people. People will most likely ignore you if they see that your account has no content.
Tips: Posting an awesome photo is not enough. Write an engaging and relatable caption, also, make use of appropriate hashtags. Hashtags make your posts recognizable, it is how a lot of people will find your posts.
Instagram Marketing 101 Step 10: Follow Other People and Engage with Them
Now that you have already finished setting up your business Instagram account, you have content posted on your profile, you can start following other people.
- Tap on the bottom right icon on your Profile page
- Then head over to the “Options” page
- You will be given two options to find Friends: Facebook Friends and Contacts
- Tap whichever and Instagram will connect to it
How to Use Instagram for Your Business?
While there are other social media networking sites that you can use to market your brand, Instagram together with Facebook has been continuously domineering in the online marketing world.
Records show that Instagram has over 200 million active users daily and over 25 million+ of business profiles worldwide. Unlike any other social media platform, this networking site is also recorded to have more engaging users. As for business owners, this is a very good opportunity for you to market your brand without having to spend a tremendous amount of money or exert huge efforts for different types of paid advertisements.
In having your own Instagram Business account, you will not only have the advantage to effectively promote your brand but you may also:
- Monitor how your stories and advertised posts perform all throughout the day, you can do this by checking the real-time metrics.
- Get updates as well as insights as to how your followers interact with your posts and stories.
- Add more information about your company such as your company’s business hours, physical location, and phone number.
Whether you are a newbie when it comes to Instagram marketing or a seasoned expert that simply needs to add more to your marketing knowledge, keep in mind that all you need is to have a winning Instagram marketing strategy.
Instagram Marketing 101 :
Create an Instagram Marketing Strategy
In creating an Instagram strategy, you have to take note of the following:
Determine Your Target Audience
This must be done before you decide what type of content you want to post on your profile. You must first define who will see your posts. Know what kind of content these particular people would want to see on your posts. Here are a few tips on how you can determine your target audience:
- Know the people who buy your brand.
- Track the analytics on your other social media channels. Doing so will help you know who follows your brand.
- Have extensive research about your other competitors.
- Include a clearer value statement for your brand.
Set Your Objectives and Goals
Knowing your objectives and goals will help you to stay focused and on track with your Instagram marketing voyage. Also, keep in mind that, in establishing your Instagram presence, it is alright to base your goals on likes, comments, and follows. It is also important that you set goals relating to real objectives for your business.
As for your real business objectives, you must base them to one of the four stages of your customer journey:
- Awareness – this includes the metrics for your follower growth rate, brand awareness, and post reach.
- Engagement – metrics for engagement rate based on likes and amplification rates based on shares.
- Conversion – contains the metrics for click-through rate and bounce rate. As for paid ads, your conversion metric includes cost per click and CPM.
- Customer – metrics are from the actions that customers take such as their testimonials.
Plan a Regular Posting Schedule and Commit to it
This is one useful way of keeping your target consumers aware of your brand and communicate with them through your engaging posts. Know when your target audiences are online, determine the best when it’s the best time to post your content.
Now the question is, when is the best time to post on Instagram?
Remember that your target consumers are scattered around the globe, meaning your target audience may not be in the same time zone as you are. One easy way to determine when your followers are online and are most likely to engage with your posts is by checking your Insights:
- Go to your Instagram business profile.
- Click on the “three bars icon” located on the top right of your screen.
- Click “Insights”.
- Next is click on the “Audience” tab and scroll down to know the active times.
It is also best to know what are the times that work for other brands with the same industry as yours.
Instagram Marketing 101 :
Enhance Your Instagram Profile
Basically, your Instagram profile is considered as your homepage, it’s what your audience sees first when they visit your page. Optimize your profile for you to have a striking impression on your first-time visitors. More so, take note of the following:
Improve Your Bio
You are only allowed 150 characters for your Instagram bio. Now how can you explain everything about your brand with so little space?
- Make use of your brand voice – it will all depend on the nature of your business. Either set a professional tone, casual or even a little cocky might work.
- Use hashtags – hashtags on Insta bios are clickable, it is one good way of leading your audience to your other generated content.
- Use emojis – emojis can help you represent your message in just one character.
Modify All Your Profile Information
Make sure to take full advantage of all the components of your Instagram business profile features:
- Contact information – this will include your email address, phone number, physical address. When adding all the information, Instagram will add buttons to call, email, and get directions for your profile.
- Category – this is located below your name. It shows people what your brand does.
- Call-to-action (buttons) – these buttons enable people to make reservations, book an appointment, buy, etc. straight from your profile.
Now that you have already established your marketing strategy and altered some profile tweaking, here comes the fun part!
Instagram Marketing 101 :
Create and Share Awesome Content
As you know, Instagram is all about visuals. In other words, your content is the heart of your profile. Keep in mind that good content is the key to the success of your Instagram marketing. There are different types of ad campaigns that you can use on your profile.
Instagram Ad Campaigns: How to Create the Best Instagram Ad Campaigns?
Generally speaking, there are two methods of advertising on Instagram. You can make use of both these methods or choose which either is the best for your business:
- Free marketing – it is pretty much like what everyone who has an Instagram account does. Free marketing on Instagram is posting images and videos to showcase your brand to promote awareness, attract more customers and followers.
- Paid marketing – Instagram uses Facebook ads manager in creating and managing your Instagram ads. Its cost will depend mainly depend on your target audience, so it is very important that you learn about your Instagram demographics.
Below are the different kinds of ads you can post on your Instagram business page:
These stories can only be seen for 24 hours. People’s Instagram stories continuously run from one story to another, this will go on until the user swipes out of the story feature.
As for your Instagram Stories Ads, you may do so by inserting a short ad between users’ stories. Your ads will work as dividers between the stories of the people you are following.
How to make an Instagram Story Ad?
- Simply go to your Instagram Ads Manager and choose “Create”
- Determine your objective which is aligned with your marketing goal.
- Fill out all the necessary details for your campaign, click “Edit Placements.”
- Below Instagram, check “Stories.”
- Set your ads budget and schedule.
- You may edit the background color of the image or videos that you will be using on your ad.
- Click “Confirm” once done.
You can preview your ad before submitting it for review. Click the dropdown box and choose “Instagram Stories”, this will show you how your ad will look once posted.
This is the most commonly used type of advertising on Instagram. Basically, you make use of engaging images photos to promote your products, to tell a story, or to send a message. Single image ads allow you to create up to six ads with one image each.
How to make an Instagram Photo Ad?
- Select the image/s you want to use for your ad.
- Add the caption for your ad in the text field. Take note that you can only use up to 300 characters. However, it is more advisable to stick to 125 characters. Texts after the third line will turn into an ellipsis.
- You can also add your website by clicking “Add a website URL.” Insert your site’s URL and choose a CTA.
Video Ads are quite similar to Photo Ads, it may consist of a short video clip or a gif.
How to make an Instagram Video Ad?
- Choose the video format.
- Upload the video you want to use.
- Select from the images Facebook has selected from the video or upload a custom one.
- Add a caption for your video ad in the text field. The same rule applies to the number of characters when it comes to the caption length.
- Like Photo Ads, you can also add your site to your video ad. Click “Add a website URL,” then choose a CTA.
The main goal of Carousel ads is to have your target consumers visit your site. These ads consist of two or more images or videos with CTA on your official website, so people can learn more about your brand.
How to make an Instagram Carousel Ad?
- Create your Carousel ads on your Facebook business page.
- Choose which photos or videos you want to use. You can put up to 10 cards in one ad. You can use an image or video for every card.
- Put a headline (first line of your caption). Your headline can be different for every card.
- Leave the description box blank and add your site’s URL for the CTA button.
- Leave the “See More URL” and “See More Display URL” fields blank (these fields are for Facebook).
- Select a CTA.
These ads enable your potential customers to easily discover, browse and purchase your products or services through their mobile phones.
How to make an Instagram Collection Ad?
- Create your Collection Ad on your Facebook business page.
- Choose an objective.
- Select the location you want to drive your audience: Website or App.
- Determine your target audience.
- Edit your placements by including Instagram or select “Automatic Placements.”
- Set your budget and schedule, then click “Continue.”
- Choose “Collection” below format.
- Select an Instant Experience template or customize it, to be included in your ad.
- Add images and details to your Instant Experience.
- Click “Confirm” once done.
After confirming, your ad will then be reviewed before showing it to your target audience.
What are the Benefits of Instagram Marketing for Your Business?
Still, thinking about whether to dive into Instagram marketing or not? Here’s why it is a must to get your brand on the platform right this instant.
Instagram has been known to be a powerful tool for online marketing. Whether what type of business you have, this platform is your key to expanding your brand visibility and relevance. Read through our list below on how your business can benefit from Instagram marketing:
- From start-ups to large corporations, any business size or type can greatly benefit from Instagram. All businesses can thrive on Instagram by maintaining an active presence and being consistent when it comes to posting engaging content.
- You can make money directly from the platform. It is now possible for businesses to add tags with links to their product descriptions and prices on their posts. This is done through the use of “shoppable posts,” which will redirect your customers to your online store.
- You can work with influencers. Social media influencers give a great impact on consumers buying decisions. These online celebrities will help you promote your brand to millions of followers.
- You can easily and effectively communicate with your target customers. The more engagements you get, the more distinguished your brand is. Also, you need to have the best Instagram ad campaigns to achieve success in your Instagram marketing.